What is Multimedia and Interactive Learning, and Why is it Important?

Outline one thing you hope to get out of this class, and one thing that you’re unsure about with this class:

Once I found out this class was being offered this summer, I was very eager to sign up because I am always excited and willing to learn more about technology/multimedia/interactive learning and how effectively implement it in a classroom. One thing I hope to get out of this class is to learn about multimodal technology applications and teaching supplements to use in the classroom and the various teaching application ideas associated with them. One thing that I am still unsure about this class is the different topics covered because I looked at the optional labs and have never learned how to do any of them before. Although I do not have much technical experience, I am very excited to learn about these topics.

To what degree was the example of Rich’s son playing a web-based game an example of interactive and/or multimedia learning?

The example of Rich’s son playing a web-based game was definitely an example of interactive AND multimedia learning. The computer game is classified as an online lesson and it puts videos, pictures, and words together to create a multimodal game. It is also an example of an interactive game that inhibits learning because it put Rich’s son through a process of interactive videos and options to keep him engaged while simultaneously learning a lot about the realistic properties about how disease and virus’ spread in real life.

Can you think of an example of an interactive or multimedia learning experience you have experienced yourself that you enjoyed or made a positive impact on you? What made it impactful to you?

An instance of an interactive and multimedia learning experience that I have recently experienced was in the EOS 120 University Lab class. In this experience, videos and audio along with direct teaching were used to demonstrate how plate tectonics move. Adding on, to make it interactive, there were a bunch of manipulatives that we were able to use to simulate different plate motions. This definitely had a positive impact on my learning because I was able to learn the material in multiple ways which enhanced my learning on the topic.

“Tectonic plates” by mag3737 is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0

Other thoughts or reflections on interactive and multimedia learning from today’s videos and readings?

I took a lot of valuable information away from this section’s videos and readings. I really liked how AJ Juliani talked about how “humans are storytelling creatures” and how “our brains are hard-wired to seek out a coherent narrative structure in the stories we hear and tell.”  This piece of research illustrates how important bringing storytelling in a teacher’s classroom is for the overall growth of the students. Another interesting fact that I reflected a lot on was a quote from Richard E. Myers’ ‘An Introduction to Multimedia Learning’. The quote was “people learn more deeply from words and pictures than from words alone” (p. 1) and also “when words and pictures are presented together, students perform well both on retention and on transfer tests” (pp. 5-6). Those statements are both important and meaningful in the direction of where teaching students should be heading. I am completely against the model of direct teaching where students listen, and teachers talk. Student learning should be multimodal and interactive and that is why I found this topic very interesting. (I found the video below very interesting and information about Multimodality)

Juliani, A. J. (2016, March 21). The Hidden Importance of Teaching with Stories. Retrieved June 7, 2020, from http://ajjuliani.com/hidden-importance-teaching-stories/

Mayer, R. E. (2014). Introduction to Multimedia Learning1. In the Cambridge handbook of multimedia learning (pp. 1–14). New York: Cambridge University Press.

5 Examples of Interactive Teaching Styles: Resilient Educator. (2018, April 6). Retrieved June 7, 2020, from https://resilienteducator.com/classroom-resources/5-interactive-teaching-styles-2/

3 Replies to “What is Multimedia and Interactive Learning, and Why is it Important?”