Individual Blog #2

How would you describe the historical and theoretical trends in k-12 online and distributed learning? What did you already know, what do you know now based on the course readings and activities, what do you hope to learn?

Since I was in Middle School, I have always been interested in the history of the things around us and how humans learn and interact with the world around them. I found the history of K-12 online and distributed learning interesting because of the vast amount of time it has been used in schools.

E-Learning Definition: “The implementation of computer technologies to education. E-learning can take many forms, whether it is used face-to-face in classrooms, as a share of required classroom activities or stroke work (e.g., online discussions), or to deliver a fully online course. E-learning can include distance education as well as traditional in-class instruction.” (Canadain Council on Learning, 2009, p. 4)

Canadian History of Online Learning: 

I never realized before our Topic 2 Readings how long e-learning, distance education, and online and blended education (more recently) has been incorporated at the K-12 Education level. Canadian E-learning roots began over 100 years ago when 86 students attended a corresponding school in Canada (Barbour, M & Labonte, R, 2018, p. 602). Adding on, Barbour and Labonte stated that about 70 years later, technology-supported online learning became prominent in British Columbia in 1993.

Photo by British Library on Unsplash

A piece of information that I never thought about but makes complete sense is about why e-learning and online learning has been introduced in Canada early on. This is because of its vast geography and rural settings, Canada has had a rich history in the field of online and blended learning (Barbour, M & Labonte, R, 2018, p. 602). Located below is an infographic on some of the Canadian History of Online and Distance Learning.

“To the present day, Canada continues to have one of the highest per capita student enrolment in e-learning courses and programs of any jurisdiction in the world” (Barbour, M & Labonte, R, 2018, p. 608). This quotation from our reading proves how far Canada has gone to develop and implement different e-learning and distance education programs. Not only with the current state of our world right now, but with the increase of demand for online education, it’s good to see that Canada, for over a century, has been testing and improving their online resources. It will be very beneficial to myself as a teacher, my future students, and right now in this course (even though I know I’m not in K-12).

I definitely learned a lot from our three-course readings about the history and context of online learning and learning theories. The reason I made this blog post more on the history of online and distributed learning is that I have lots of previous information about learning theories but not on this topic. One of the most prominent quotations that I gained from these readings was:

“Blended learning that combines the best elements of online and face-to-face instruction is likely to emerge as the predominant teaching model of the future in Canada.” (Barbour, M & Labonte, R, 2018, p. 614).

Roberts, V., Blomgren, C. Ishmael, K. & Graham, L. (2018) Open Educational Practices in K-12 Online and Blended Learning Environments. In R. Ferdig & K. Kennedy (Eds.), Handbook of research on K-12 online and blended learning (pp. 527–544). Pittsburgh, PA: Carnegie Mellon University ETC Press.

Barbour, M & Labonte, R. (2018) An Overview of eLearning Organizations and Practices in Canada. ​In R. Ferdig & K. Kennedy (Eds.), Handbook of research on K-12 online and blended learning (pp. 600-616). Pittsburgh, PA: Carnegie Mellon University ETC Press.

Bates, T.(2014). Learning Theories and Online Learning. [Blog post]. Retrieved fromhttps://www.tonybates.ca/2014/07/29/learning-theories -and-online-learning/​.

3 Replies to “Individual Blog #2”

1. Josh, Great post 🙂
    That infographic is terrific!! I’m going to use it in my post.
    When you used the quote, “Blended learning that combines the best elements of online and face-to-face instruction is likely to emerge as the predominant teaching model of the future in Canada.” (Barbour, M & Labonte, R, 2018, p. 614). I feel like you highlighted one of the most exciting things we learned this week. It’s too bad you had to work today because I know you would have enjoyed the webinar with the 3 Dr’s who are on the front lines of this research.
    Another aspect of your blog that I enjoyed was your use of a definition from a reputable source; this was a perfect segway into the content after your concise introduction to the topic.
    This blog post is another example of your dedication to your education and further proof that you are going to be an excellent teacher. I look forward to reading more of your work.

2. Hey Josh!
    I got to say your blogs are so aesthetically pleasing to look at, and I cannot believe you made that graphic on your own, its true art. I couldn’t agree more with your beginning statement, I to did not realize just how long eLearning, distance education, and online/blended education has been around in the K-12 context. It is pretty incredible to think that even back when there weren’t the same technological advances as today, teachers were still thinking of the best way to help their long-distance students to learn (teachers have been caring since day 1). It’s pretty incredible to think how far Canada has advanced from the brick and mortar classroom in only the past century, and it’s even more exciting to think how much further we can go. This; was a great blog Josh and, I am 100% going to steal your timeline.

3. Another great post Josh! As mentioned by Timm and Kirby, your infographic on the history of online and distance learning in Canada was a fantastic addition to your post. The timeline structure of the image, coupled with related graphics made it a very effective and visual way to demonstrate your thinking. I know I am going to reference it in the future. This gives me inspiration to possibly create a summary graphic for my next post!
    As always, your writing is super clear, integrates critical quotes from the course readings, and formatted in a very easy to follow manner. Reading through your analysis has helped me gain a better understanding of how open and distributed learning has developed and evolved over time given the advances in technology. I found the Barbour and Labonte quote mentioned about blended learning very interesting – it’s neat to think about how this teaching model will present itself in the future and how it will look like – pedagogically and theoretically.
    I’m looking forward to reading your next post for topic three! 🙂